Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Two more days

I talked to Dr. Rouse yesterday and he is so pleased with Gabe's progress. We settled on Thursday as a target release date. Can you believe it? He is getting his sleep study right now. I was going to take this opportunity to do laundry and pack back at the RMH, but is pouring down rain. So I am blogging and updating pictures instead. I am also working on a little something to leave for everyone here to remember us by. Some of them check the blog, so I can't reveal that just yet. It hit me yesterday that we are really leaving, and then I got that little sad twinge when I started to think about some of the weekend nurses that I didn't get to say goodbye to. We'll be back, but you never know who will be working when you come back. We'll also have to try to come for a visit at shift change so we can see day shift and night shift. I was talking to Amanda this morning, when I got her picture with Gabe's feet. She mentioned the sad part of nights is that they rarely see the babies that come back to visit. She also told me that the nurses were talking about Gabe last night and reflecting on how far he has come. Her words were very touching. She called him a miracle and followed that with "it is not that often we actually get to see the hand of God so literally at work". Something like that. She mentioned that Dr. Little (we miss him, I think they do too) was the most optimistic. Kathryn said several of the nurses questioned Gabe going on ECMO (remember how bleak it was that first night. If he really had no chance, as they had been told, it would have been cruel). Dr. Little told them he thought Gabe would be ok. I never knew he felt so optimistic that early on. As doctors, they have such a responsibility to tell you how things are. I know they want to give hope, but they can't give false hope. That would be far more cruel. There's no doubt we needed to know what we were up against. It sounds like maybe he was one of the first to really have faith in Gabe and his will to live.

I added some more pictures - so enjoy!

7 comments:

David and Cory said...

Praise God! Many people of the Christian Faith talk about "A life verse", a Bible verse that they live on, it encourages them and gets them through the tough times of life. I believe Gabe's life verse is Jeremiah 29: 11-13!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

God has an amazing plan for this little one! My heart is bursting with joy for you Josh and Peggy!

David and Cory

Unknown said...

GO GABE, GO!!!

"With all of my heart I praise the LORD!" I will never forget how kind He has been. The LORD forgives our sins, heals us when we are sick, and protects us from death. His kindness and love are a crown on our heads. Each day that we live, he provides for our needs and gives us the strength of a young eagle." Psalm 103:2-5

Praising GOD with all my heart,
~Angela and family~

Simonsmomma said...

Oh Peggy! I'm so happy to read this update! I am so glad Gabriel gets to go home. I hope you continue to update his progress through this blog! Maybe we'll see you at the NICU Reunion (we just got our postcard and the date is Sept. 15th this year)!

Susan Vollmer said...

I can barely type this through my tears of joy! I am so happy to hear that Gabe will be home soon and you and all your boys will be able to be together all the time again. What a miracle little Gabe is!!

Carol & Larry Northenor said...

WOW!!!!!!!!Great news.I can't think of anything else to say but, WOW!!!!!!!GOD is Good. Bless you all and we will see you all home soon.

Larry and Carol

kathy wuertz said...

Josh and Peggy,

What can I say, but how WONDERFUL!
We have been reading your blog daily and praying for your family.
We believe that God has a plan for Gabe and he is going to be just fine when he gets home
Gabe is your miracle baby and you will be witnesses to that his entire life.
So happy for the Wittmers!!

Bob and Kathy Wuertz

The Hull 6 said...

That is great news!! How good it will feel to be a family again!! We are so happy for you all.
The Hull6
Andy, Melissa, Noah, Elena, Annalee and Gabe