Thursday, July 26, 2007

Last night was much better! He really didn't sleep much his first 24 hours at home and he was spitting up quite a bit with each feeding, which worried me a little. I knew it could be the change in environment, or withdrawal but also wondered if it could be his CO2 getting worse (the first two I could handle, the third had me a little worried). The home health respiratory therapist came by and thought he looked ok, based on what we told her of his norm.

After the older boys went to bed, Gabe got a bath. I also cleaned and then reinserted, with Grandma Carolyn's assistance, his feeding tube. I remembered nurse/auntie Laura mentioning before that when Gabe had been spitting up a lot, she put the feeding tube down a little father and it improved. I tried that and the spitting up has gone way down. All of this activity was pretty exhausting (for all of us). After the 11:00 feeding/phenobarb/albuterol treatment, he fell asleep and did not wake up until around 5:00 this morning, when I changed his diaper. He was sleeping so well at the 2 AM feeding, I didn't dare touch his diaper (it was just a little wet). I was thinking about calling up to Riley about the sleeplessness and spitting up, but both have improved already.

We got him to Dr. Voyles, the pediatrician, this morning where Gabe was treated to three immunization shots. His office had us come in at 8:30, before anyone else was in the waiting room, which we really appreciated. Dr. Voyles agreed that all of us should get flu shots this year to help reduce Gabe's exposure to bugs.

Justin and Kendrick are currently getting haircuts with Aunt Kaci and Grandma Maggie. I figured with the wedding coming up, they could decide how their hair should look. Josh is taking a nap (it's a work thing), Grandma Carolyn is putting away groceries and looking after Gabe. I am playing hooky - and updating the blog, obviously! OK, break time over.

3 comments:

The Van Hyfte Family said...

So glad to hear you're settling in and got a bit of rest. Sounds like you're handling things quite nicely! Thanks for the update!

Jane said...

Peg,
Sounds like things are going well. Tell your Mom I said "hi"
Love Jane

Melanie Goebel said...

I just have to tell you....AJ and I were looking at the blog, and he looked at the newest pictures and I told him that you're home, and said "Awww, I'm soooo happy that he's better!"

Of course he wants to come visit, but I explained that we could give him germs that could make him really sick, and he seemed OK with that. It just warms my heart, that even an almost 4 year old has so much concern and empathy for your little guy!

Hopefully Gabriel won't be too bothered by his shots. Best wishes for good sleep!

Melanie & family