Thursday, July 5, 2007

I don't have a lot of news yet. He rested over night, which is good. He was awake ALL day again yesterday, which is not normal for a baby!! Last night I got to thinking more about it (too much time to myself at bed time) and it worried me that he could wear out and go back on the ventilator. I know shouldn't dwell on the "couldas", but things have been going so well and I find myself thinking it is too good to be true, like we are due for another setback. I pray for him to keep moving forward with no setbacks, but sometimes feel guilty asking for more when we have been given so much already. I know it sounds strange, but we have been given a huge gift and we are far from being in the worst shape around here anymore. Two nights ago I was walking back down the hallway, on the way back to the RMH, and a young couple walked out of another module and slumped together against the wall in tears, comforting each other. We were there not so very long ago - so I guess that is why it is sometimes hard for me to pray for a "hurry-up". I will have to count on all of you to help me out there. Maybe I was also feeling a little emotional b/c I love the fourth and even though I had a great time watching the downtown fireworks with the Huftys, (and some of the nurses and their families too), I missed my family. I am the girl who can't get through the National anthem without my eyes watering, even if it is a high school basketball game!!

On another note, when we do get out of here one day - and we will - it won' t be without some sadness. We've gotten pretty attached to a lot of folks around here. I can sleep at night, or leave for lunch or to do things like this, b/c I know he is watched over by some fantastic protectors. It's still hard to leave him, but I can do it and feel ok.

Geez, I just read back through this post - didn't mean to get so sappy!

4 comments:

Carol & Larry Northenor said...

Wish I were there to give you a BIG HUG!!!! We have friends and family praying for Gabriel and your family. My sister Lana checks this page often and prays for the little guy. God is hearing all the prayers, by the improvments Gabe is making, he'll be home before we know it. Holding you and the family close to our hearts!!
Love Larry and Carol

Chris said...

I'm a teacher-friend of Kaci's who has been following Gabe's progress all along the way! It's amazing how incredible he's doing! I hug my own daughters a little tighter at night and thank God for the blessings of good health that we've had. Gabe is such an encouragement and such a blessing. Aunt Kaci had better figure out a way to sneak him to school some day so we can all get to meet him! Yes, a setback could happen, but I think when you look back a few months from now at the "big picture" of Gabe's health, any small setbacks you deal with along the way will be completely overshadowed by his amazing amount of progress. You're in our prayers!

Jane said...

It's OK, Peggy, you are entitled to some sappy emotions and what better place to express them than here on your blog with so many people who love you and your family and are praying for you. I'm sure I'm speaking for many people who have been touched deeply by your faithfull devotion.
Love and Prayers
Jane

Melanie Goebel said...

I am so amazed by Gabriel's progress! What an awesome little boy! I can't wait to meet him next week! You and your insightful words are an inspiration to any of us who think we have problems. Definatly a reality check when I'm bothered by one thing or another. I'm so proud of your dedication, faithfulness, and strength! Keep it up.

Melanie