Monday, July 23, 2007

Going Home, again

OK, I think we are all systems go this time, but not without some reservation. The sleep study was very similar to the nap study, which showed overall elevated levels of CO2. Dr. Rouse explained that he felt there were two options: 1. Get the trach or 2. take hime home. He feels there are risks with either option. With the elevated CO2 levels, the big risk is if Gabe were to get a cold. He could be in respiratory distress rather quickly, which they feel would be greatly minimized with a trach and ventilator. However there are risks with the trach as well. For example there is a tremendous amount of care involved with a trach and if it were to get plugged, he could be in the same rapid distress situation. Apparently there aren't any home health nurses specializing in infant trachs that could come to the home and adequately check our progress, which adds to the risk.

We talked about it quite a bit over the weekend and felt that we should get him home and postpone a trach. We have the benefit of summertime, meaning it is not cold and flu season and the boys aren't in school to bring home all kinds of bugs. He will be followed monthly by several specialties, including pulmonology - who will likely recommend follow-up sleep studies. We will also get a repeat echocardiogram at some point to watch for pulmonary hypertension. We voiced this to Dr. Rouse and I think he felt that was a valid point. He cautioned us on the importance of keeping Gabe's exposure to bugs as minimal as possible, meaning no venturing out with Gabe except to where he absolutely needs to go and no visitors. This is hard b/c we want so much to introduce him to everybody and realize this will have to wait. At the end of the discussion, I asked him what he would do in our position (with the understanding this is a hard situation and a hard question to answer). He responded that he didn't know.

So, *deep breath* the day we have waited for has arrived. We are as comfortable with this as we can be. Josh's birthday present for today is the news that Gabe is coming home - that and the dirty diaper Gabe presented him with when Josh was holding him.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Josh and Peggy,

I'm glad to hear that a decision has finally been made....even though I am sure that it was a difficult one for you to make. And I have every confidence in you both. You're at his bedside every day, you've cared for him more than I have when you're there :) ....you know what his 'norm' is and I have no doubt that if he varies from that you'll get him to where he needs to be immediately. And I'm there tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get to be the lucky one to send you guys home. See you tomorrow!

Jessie Engledow said...

I am glad to hear that you guys are going home!! I continue to pray for all of you and that Gabe keeps making lots of progress.

Tina said...

Congrats!!!! I'm so excited for you and for baby Gabe. What special moments await!!! You'll be in my prayers!

jenni becker said...

Wow..the words that we have all been waiting to hear "GOING HOME." We all know that Gabriel will be in GREAT hands!!

Happy Birthday Josh..What a wonderful Birthday present to have all your family back under on roof.

With our continued prayers....

Jenni

Tabatha said...

Josh and Peggy,
Yeah! I'm glad to hear that you get to go home...again!! I had a feeling about which decision you would make. I know it was a very difficult one for you both! Like I said before I know that you are intelligent and very dilligent people, and you will recognize any change in Gabe's health or how he acts. I won't get to see you again before you leave *sigh*, but in a way that's a good thing!! Good thing I got that hug from you on Saturday night, huh, Peggy?! I wish you all the best!! Good luck and thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to take care of Gabriel and to meet you! You are wonderful people and Gabe is lucky to have you as his parents! Keep in touch! I will continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers! Take care of all of those boys!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOSH!!!
Love,
Tabatha

Anonymous said...

Yeahhh!!! I am so glad to hear that you get to take your precious son home. I pray that God will continue to keep his loving, healing hands on Gabe and that he will continue to be with you guiding you and giving your strength!
In His Love,
Carrie

pwolf said...

It's exciting that you will be bringing Gabe home so soon. I will keep praying for all of you and trusting God to take care of Gabe.

The Hull 6 said...

That is wonderful news! Introductions can wait, at least you will be home!
With love,
The Hulls