Monday, July 2, 2007

Big Day!

We talked to Dr. Rouse last night, and Dr. Duffy this morning. The stitches are coming out today and at the same time, they are going to pull one chest tube from each side!! Dr. Rouse mentioned that if Gabriel continued to do well with his feeds and no more drainage started from the remaining chest tubes, they would be pulled in a day or so. Very exciting!!

The vent settings are very low now. Let's see if I can remember: Rate at 20 bpm, PIP at 17, PEEP at 6, breath support at 7. Surgery and Neonatology are supposed to be talking about extubation, but we haven't heard anything yet. I saw Dr. Denne heading back to the NICU, so Neo must be getting ready to round. Maybe we'll get news about that this morning? One can only hope! I may have mentioned this already, stop me if you've heard this ;), some DH babies get tired after a day or two of being extubated and have to be reintubated. Actually I did say that already - and I think I referred to the "auxiliary" muscles when I should have said ancillary. Oh well. That's it for now! Oh yeah, he's up to 45 ml of breast milk, actually it might be 50ml. He's moving so fast now I can hardly keep up!

5 comments:

Shannon Bair said...

Great news. I'm so happy that Gabriel is doing so well.
Shannon

The Hull 6 said...

Sounds like you all had a great weekend! Keep up the great progress, Gabriel!!!
Love, The Hull6

Amy said...

Every step no matter how big or small is so very important. Glad to hear how awesome Gabriel is doing.
Amy Willis

Amanda said...

Fab News about the vent!! Just think, once he is off the vent, he will be able to talk to you. I know reading lips around a tube is the hardest thing to do. Wait... He's a bit younger than my patients, so forget that part. But maybe you can see him smile, really, trully smile. Hope you have a Happy 4th. Lots of love.

Amanda

Gail and Dave Wittmer said...

AMAZING! What a way to Celebrate the 4th. He has come such a long way. There is now doubt that he will continue to get stronger everyday and grow and keep amazing us. He wants to get out of that place and get busy with what God has planned for him to do!! I think this is just a start Peg. He will keep amazing us for a long time to come!!
When I see the Fireworks this year, I will think of him and your family because he is just gonna take off like a Rocket!!
Love to all, Aunt Gail