Sunday, July 15, 2007

Off of the vapotherm.

This morning Tabatha, Gabe's night nurse, called at about 7:30 to let me know he was switching from vapotherm to oxygen at 8:00, just in case I wanted to come watch. We had a busy day yesterday, and didn't get back to the RMH until late, so the boys were still sound asleep. Since Josh had gone back Saturday afternoon, I couldn't exactly rush over. It was still very exciting and I was so happy to get the call. This is the last major hurdle, as I understand it! We still have some details to take care of, but we are almost there. Yesterday was a fun day in the module. Gabe got his first tub bath and the big brothers had a great time "helping". Actually, I shouldn't use the quotes, they did a good job and most of the water stayed in the tub (sorry Laura). Deb gave Kendrick some animal "tattoos", which he had fun showing off. Justin declined, which shouldn't be too surprising to anyone. He doesn't like "stuff" on him. After Josh left, they were entertained by making balls out of tape and balloon hands (surgical gloves). Somehow (I think Laura did that one) the balls ended up taped to the balloon hands. Then the module secretary drew fingernails and a boy ring on one hand and a girl ring on the other hand and they got married. At the 8:00 feeding, Gabe was actually awake and the boys were behaving (they had suckers from Paula) so I decided to try a bottle - success! He took down all 10 mls in about 10 minutes. That's fast for him. We finally got back to the RMH around 9:30 and it was close to 10:30 by the time we got through the bedtime routines and to bed. Late night and long day for two little boys, but they had fun.

This morning, while waiting for the boys to wake up, I was working on birthday cards for my Mom and Grandma (over a full week late - which is actually not too bad for me). As I was writing in the cards, I got to thinking about my family, especially the women since these were the people I was writing to. I've always known, but haven't always dwelled on, that our family has some particularly strong women. They've had no shortage of trials and difficult times of their own (health and otherwise) and have always handled it with strength and grace (at least in front of the world. I tend to fall apart in private when the crisis is over, so maybe they do too). I've had nothing but the best examples to look up to - from Mom and Grandma to aunts and cousins too. I know my stubborn streak is definitely inherited (ok Josh, I can just hear you, "she actually admitted to that, in print!!" Let's not make a big deal of it). So, a special thanks to all of the women in my life who have taught me to stay grounded and stand firm in the face of adversity. I couldn't have survived this (or the next 18+ years raising three boys) without you.

OK, all of that was not to slight the guys. Dad inspired an adventurous spirit and willingness to try new things (sushi and oysters are exempt) along with a deep patriotism and love for all those willing to look out for others. As I've said before, growing up in a military family made me well suited to life with a cop!

Josh and I both come from incredible families and we are beyond grateful for their love and support. I can't say we couldn't have done this without them (we can do anything we need to do because of the examples they have always given us) but we couldn't have done this so easily without them. The boys couldn't be in better hands when we are away from them. Not having to worry about them is huge. I know I can speak for Josh (he'll attest that happens from time to time) when I say he feels the same way about the examples of strength in the face of adversity and heartache set forth in his family (especially including the extended family). They are the epitomy of faith and hope and have taught me so much.

So, to sum up this rather long-winded blog (sorry, you can wake up now. I'm done) - an extra special big thanks to our families today. That's ALL of you, not just the ones we yelled at to get out of the bathroom for 18 years.

OK, I'm done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Josh and family,

It is great to see that Gabe is progressing so well. I just found out about the blog and actually about Gabe's trials tonight from one of the dispatchers here at work. I have spent the last 90 minutes reading though (or at least heavy skimming) the last weeks of your life. It is an amazing story. Our son spent 8 days in the NICU and it was absolutely, without a doubt, the longest 8 days of my life.

Congrats on being almost ready to come home! I am hooked now. I will be checking everyday for updates.

Talk to you soon at work, Josh.

Ben Early

Rev.Adrian Brooks said...

I was writing to let you know that my wife and I have been praying for young Gabe and we are praising God for his progress.We will continue to pray for all of you.Rev.Adrian Brooks