Thursday, July 5, 2007

All chest tubes gone!

Dr. Duffy reviewed today's xray and removed the right tube. We are also weaning from the morphine today - pretty soon they will stop the drip and he will get morphine doses on a four hour schedule. If he handles that ok over the next 24 hours, they will do the same with the versed. He is resting much better today, in fact he has slept as much today as he was awake yesterday! Keep up those prayers for easy breathing, it seems to be working so far. We snuggled for a little while during and after the 2:00 feeding. It it is so nice to hold HIM, not just him on a pillow - did I mention that was how I am holding him now? Another big step towards independance - Laura (yesterday's nurse) and Stacia (today's nurse) have been letting me get him up and put him back more by myself. That is pretty darn cool too. I wouldn't say we have one foot out the door just yet, but we are getting closer. The narcotics wean has me excited and nervous at the same time. The nurse practitioner asked for a blood gas today, just to see how he was doing and it was very good - I didn't get the exact numbers, just that it was "very good". No weaning down on the vapotherm today (honestly, I am not sure I could handle it, Gabe may be fine with it!) but he is getting another blood gas in the morning, and they will decide about weaning the vapotherm then. Reading back through this I can see what a contradiction I am. In my last post I am praying for things to move along and now that they are moving along so quickly, I am scared to death! OK, the boys are on their way and should be here soon so I am going to see how close they are!

4 comments:

The Hull 6 said...

It must feel soooo good to hold your little man!! We are praying for a smooth ride from here on out.

Love, the Hull6

Jessie Engledow said...

Hi this is Jessie (Beltz) I heard about Gabe and wanted you to know that I am praying for you and all your guys. I was so excited to learn of all the progress that has been made!!! He is such a fighter!!!
Thinking of all of you!
Jessie

Dave and Maria Schoeppner said...

Wonderful news! Hang in there. I'm glad the boys are on their way! Have a glorious visit! You deserve it! We are keeping you in our prayers.
Love,
Maria, Dave, Patrick, and Cathryn

pwolf said...

Dear Peg, Josh, Justin, Kendrick and Gabriel,
Maggie brought your gift for Taylor and Savannah to my house yesterday. When the girls saw your letter and the bears, they were so excited! It was really sweet of you.
I'm still checking Gabe's blogspot daily, and am thrilled with the progress he is making! I'm so glad you are getting to hold him and snuggle. What a thrill. We'll keep praying for continuous progress.
Priscilla