Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday Update

Not much change - not much seems to change on the weekends!! The puffiness seems to be better today, so hopefully (lots of prayers and crossed fingers!!!) we will get to close the tummy tomorrow. He was not peeing well, so they have given him more lasix. Last night I walked into the module right when they were changing his dressing. I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay and watch, but decided to. It actually wasn't bad. I was afraid I would see organs hanging out (which is fine to watch on TV, and when the patient isn't your own child) but I didn't. I could see the opening, but it was just the patch. The surgeon changing the dressing said it looked good, but it is still up to Dr. Rouse to decide if he is ready for closing tomorrow. Once they were finished, I got to help change his bedding. That is the most I have gotten to do with him, aside from taking his temperature a few times. It was a nice treat for me. Sometimes it gets hard to watch from the sidelines (ok, more than sometimes), but as I have said before, we are so grateful he is with us and doing so well now!

He has had his eyes open quite a bit this morning. It's the first time Justin and Kendrick have been able to see that! They loved seeing him awake.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Peg, I'm glad you got to help with him this morning. It must really be tough not to be able to hold him and cuddle him, but I'm sure your Mom (and the personel there) have explained why. Time will come when he will need all of your nurturing. Hang in there darlin'!!!! love, Jane

Mandy said...

Peggy - My name is Mandy Patterson and I am a good friend of Jenny Rhoutsong's. My husband and I are in the same small group with the Rhoutsong's. I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you and little Gabriel everyday. Our son, Bailey, who is now 5 spent 4 months in the Riley NICU. In fact, almost all of the nurses that are on your blog we know very well. We spent much time in modules 2, 3, and 5. We got to be pretty close with Stacia and Deb Pardieck. Bailey had two bowel surgeries because of being born 3 months premature and had many other complications. Anyways, I wanted to let you know who we were and I would love to help you in any way that we can. Our email address is poohloveit@sigecom.net and our phone number is 812-402-2129. I am also an occupational therapist and would love to help with any medical related questions! Praying every day for your family. With love, Mandy Patterson