Monday, June 25, 2007

Sorry no post on Sunday...

Sorry there was no post yesterday! We had visitors and we were waiting to hear from the doctors, which didn't happen until around 9:00 last night. So let's review from Saturday night: I was at the bedside around 9:00 Saturday night when Dr Rouse came around and took me back to review the past three days xrays. The left xray from that day was cloudy. He was hoping it was adelectesis**( see note below) rather than another build-up of fluid in the left lung. They can treat the adelectesis with vibration of the lung, albuterol, and adjusting the vent settings. If it is fluid, then possibly yet another chest tube, if it would appear that the others were either plugged or not in the right place. He got an ultrasound Sunday morning, after which the radiologist told the nurse it looked like there was a "small amount" of fluid in the left lung. We needed to hear from the surgeons to know what this meant for Gabriel, ofcourse after things going relatively well, we were preparing ourselves for the worst. I let my mind race too far ahead and felt so disappointed that we were possibly heading for a big setback, ie another chest tube, postponed feedings, postponed vent weaning, postponed HOME... you get the idea. We shook it off and waited to hear from surgery. The surgeons had a VERY busy day, so we didn't hear until later and Dr. Ingam (hope I spelled his name right) didn't feel like it was anything to be too concerned about - the radiologist actually reported it as minimal fluid and the xray apparently looked better Sunday. So basically I worried for nothing, but hey, I've been doing pretty well - I was due for a good worrying fit (I KNOW Dad, "Don't worry about things you can't control).

We haven't heard anything yet this morning, so hopefully the day brings good news. He had his eyes open this morning, which is always nice. Occupational Therapy came in and worked with his range of motion for arms and legs and he did really well. She said we could work with him on our own too. Josh just came in and said Neonatology is getting ready to "round", so I am going to sign off. We'll update more later as we find out what is going on - ps, we get to hold him again :)

** (not sure about the spelling, tried to google it and this was the closest I found - anyway, it is when the alveoli are collapsing, which can happen after surgery when there is a lot of inactivity. I had to breathe into some contraption to prevent adelectesis after all of my c-sections. I was not a very good patient, as I did it maybe three or four times total).

2 comments:

Grandpa O said...

I know I have always tried to teach the 3 of you not to worry about things you cannot control, but that doesn't include sick kids. Of course you didn't need me to tell you that anyway.
You and Josh are my heroes for the strength you have had throughout this ordea.
Dad

Marisa said...

Hello there! It's Marisa Donovan - I work with Kaci and told her the story about our son, Sawyer, in Riley with the supposed diaphragmatic hernia that turned out to be a congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung. I've been reading your posts every day and continue to keep all of you in my prayers. When I saw that you mentioned Dr. Engum, I had to tell you that he was Sawyer's surgeon ten years ago. Just another of the wonderful miracle workers at Riley! I'll keep praying, praying, praying, and rejoicing with you in every little step Gabriel makes. :)