Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Another bittersweet day

Today was extra special - we got to hold Gabriel for the first time. Unfortunately it may be a few days before we can do it again. Dr. Rouse wants to do surgery for the chylothorax tomorrow afternoon. He called the procedure a pleuradesis (sp?). Gabriel's left chest tube is still putting out lots of lymphocytes. Since he is losing white blood cells and proteins, if he were to develop an infection, he would have a hard time fighting it off. Right now he is doing well, so better to address it now, especially since it is not improving enough on its own. Apparently they are going to "rough up" the outside of the lungs in the hopes of creating scar tissue allowing the lung to more or less stick to the chest wall and hopefully seal up the leak. That is how we understand it. We asked about the risks - the response was that the risks of putting it off far outweighed the risks of proceeding.

Today, Laura (our nurse) told us we could probably hold Gabriel in a few days. Last night the couple across from us got to hold their baby and it made me happy for them, but sad for us. It sometimes gets difficult to watch other babies making those next big steps. Anyway, I told Laura how excited I was to be able to hold him soon, and admitted I'd had "baby envy" the night before. Next thing we knew, she had called Dr. Little and we were able to hold him. I sat in a rocker with him for two hours (my butt was numb, but didn't care!) and Josh held him after that. We found out about the surgery while we were holding him, and were so grateful we got that chance. We put up new pictures to show how much it meant to us. He also got a new "blankie" and got a pacifier today. He really liked it!

6 comments:

Shannon Bair said...

I'm so glad you finally got to hold Gabriel. It must have been wonderful. I will pray for a successful surgery tomorrow. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
Shannon and Kevin

Lenny and Nancy said...

Josh, Peggy, boys, and families,
Sending you our continuous love and prayers for another succesful surgery. We know he is in good hands.
When Matt was sick, I read this and it helped me - hope it helps you too, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good...to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
God bless,
Nancy, Lenny, and family

Jane said...

What joyful pictures! You go Gabe!! My prayers for all of you!
Love, Jane

Grandma Carolyn said...

I love the picture of Gabe with the "blanky and binky". Looks so normal, but babes with ET tubes and IV's look normal to me since I saw as many babies with them as without when I was working. You learn to see beyond all the tubes. I pray that Gabe continues to show his stuff and surprise everyone with his strength and will, and that Peg and Josh don't lose their hope and patience.
Grandma Carolyn

Susan Vollmer said...

How wonderful! I have been praying that you would be able to hold him. I can only imagine how hard that must be.

I wanted to share with you that I had a dream about Gabe last night. He and my soon to arrive little one were playing together at the park. Also, Gabe's T-ball team won a big trophy. You will have to let me know when that happens : )

God Bless you and baby Gabriel!

Unknown said...

Oh Josh and Peg,

Thanks be to GOD!!!
The pictures of MOM and DAD holding Gabriel are absolutely BREATHTAKING!!!
Answered PRAYER, a BEAUTIFUL thing!!!
As I look at PRECIOUS Gabriel in the pictures that adorn this site, I truly see "THE FINGERPRINTS OF GOD" all over him!!!

Focusing on God's Goodness,
Derek, Angela, Mackenzie, and Ella