Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sorry for the delay in updating - we got to hold him again today!! Because of all of his tubes, it is a bit of a commitment to hold him (it is a bit of an ordeal for the nurses to organize all of his tubes and get him moved out of his bed. Ofcourse it is completely worth it. I held him for about an hour and forty-five minutes, and Josh held him for close to two hours. He's still pretty uncomfortable today, but better than yesterday. Chest-tube output yesterday was about 40 TOTAL (that is from both tubes combined!!) so we are continuing to make progress there. Dr. Rouse was discussing maybe Monday to start the tube feeds. Neonatology is still being conservative on the weaning, but said they expected to get more aggressive in a day or two, depending on how he is doing.

We enjoyed some more visitors yesterday and today. Thanks to everyone who came by, it really is nice to break up the routine. We also got an especially nice break yesterday evening. Another family with a baby in our module invited us to their home for a cookout. Their little boy (featured in a pic below, watching Cars with Justin and Kendrick) has become friends with Justin and Kendrick. All three had a ball playing outside and eating at the little picnic table together. It was a nice taste of "normal" for an evening, and we really appreciated it. That has been another amazing part of this experience - getting to know the other families and hearing their stories. Each story is so different, yet with many overlapping commonalities.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Praying that the Lord continues to bless you and the family!

Unknown said...

Peggy - We are so glad to hear of Gabriel's progress. He is such a MIRACLE!!! We continue to pray daily for the family and for the healing on little Gabe! I remember the feeling of elation when I got to hold Bailey for the first time. I got to hold him for the first time when he was 2 1/2 weeks old. It is such a great feeling yet tricky also with all the tubes and wires! Well, keep hanging in there! With love, Mandy Patterson and family

Kathy Davidson said...

Dear Peggy

I am Rose Willett's daughter, Kathy. I wrote to your mom and aunts with an update on my mother and your Aunt Pat sent me your blog about little Gabriel. I am so sorry for your ordeal. I read just your last couple of pages and do not have time right now to read it all; but will. Not being in the medical field I can't figure out what is problem was...

I just want you to know that as of August 2, it will be 29 years ago that my husband and myself went through a simular situation. It looks like Gabriels was more serious then Anthony's, but all are worrisome and heart-wrenching for families. Anthony's lungs collapsed at birth...but my point is that he is my healthest, onurest, sweetest, best natured kid of all. He remembers very little of his ordeal and just has a scare or two that he doesn't remember why they are there!!!!

The "Willett" family will be praying for you all and thinking of you and especially Grandma Tuddy! Please give my love to everyone...Kathy

PS I have 3 wonderful sons (all grown) and I also have 3 beautiful grandsons...I am waiting to buy pink!!!!

The Hull 6 said...

Josh and Peg- so sorry you had to miss Lincoln this year! How wonderful that the family still goes after so many years... Just think, you'll have yet another member of the family to take next year! Praying for the best,
Melissa Hull