Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It looks like they only got 9 ml out of both chest tubes COMBINED again today. That is two days in a row, so maybe we will start tube feeds soon...? I hope so! He had another good blood gas, but Neonatology hasn't rounded yet, so I don't know if he will wean. The respiratory therapist assumed he would at least wean on the rate. Gabriel is down to a rate of 28 right now. Last night I asked the therapist what different things they would wean him on and I understood some of it, but not all of it. She said after the rate gets down to 20 or less (essentially no support) they would start on the patient pressure support, which I think means the amount of assistance the ventilator give Gabriel with every breath he takes. They will also wean on the PIP, which stands for Peak Inspiratory Pressure, but I don't completely understand that one. I know intuitively what it should mean, but don't completely get it, got it? Me either. I think once they wean all of that, and if his O2 support stays low and he tolerates that, then we get to talk extubation!! When? Don't ask, I don't. OK, that is all I have for right now! I really hope I have more to report later today, or at least tomorrow.

6 comments:

Pat Summers said...

Your blog helps to keep me up to date with you and Gabriel. Our thought and prayers are with you daily.

Gabriel is AMAZING.

Pat Summers

Jenni Becker said...

Peggy,

You should receive your RN degree once Gabriel is out of Riley. I am sure you feel that you have received a real medical education while being there.

We check the blog routinely and are so encouraged how Gabe is improving. He is truly an amazing little one. I keep our minister updated on Gabe and he shares the prayer requests with our congregation. I told him in a recent note that God has put this little one here for a PURPOSE!! Gabe has amazed the doctors, his family and all of those around him with his medical "miracles"!! He TRULY is amazing.

Take care and we hope to see you this weekend.

Jenni

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna Mayhaus said...

What an awesome family...the journal, pictures are terrific. God Bless Gabriel and both of you. I know Grandpa Mike through our profession. I'm from Illinois. I just wanted to know that I'll be praying for healing for little Gabriel and for wisdom, courage and strength for the both of you. God Bless You!!

Unknown said...

Hey Peg,

We want you to know that we are praying faithfully, and we continue to check in daily!!!

Thanks be to GOD for His precious GIFT of Gabe!!! GO GABRIEL, GO!!!

You are simply adorable, just like your charming BIG BROTHERS!!! Mackenzie and Ella had the greatest time playing with them at Lincoln. Praise the LORD for the time we had together!!!

We HOPE and PRAY for the day Gabriel can join his brothers in all of their "CARS" festivities!!! Too cute!!!

Thanks Justin and Kendrick, the girls are now "CARS" addicts!!!
So darn funny, they talk about you two and all of your CARS CHARACTERS constantly!!! It is so darn cute to listen to them imitate you with your SOUTHERN ACCENTS!!!

Love from your NORTHERN PRAYER WARRIORS, The Huntman Family

kem said...

Gabriel is a VERY beautiful baby.

Mommy and Daddy did a good job to have 3 adorable little ones.

My prayers are with him.

The pictures and journal are wonderful. Everyone here says what an adorable baby he is.

Kem Weightman
EPD Records