Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quiet

...That would certainly be a good description for our house right now. Justin and Kendrick are in North Carolina for the week with Grandma Carolyn, Grandpa O and Uncle Tim. We talk to them a couple times a day, as it fits into their busy schedules. Today we were regaled with stories of the aquarium and the ocean. I believe they are heading back to the ocean tomorrow - better prepared, as today's visit was a bit impromptu I think. I thought they might be a little wary of such an awesome sight as the ocean, but not to worry. I'm not sure Justin remembers his last visit to the ocean - and I know Kendrick won't remember his. I think I am just a little bit bummed to have missed their impressions first-hand, but they filled me in on the phone. I'm just glad they are enjoying themselves in a new environment - and have even put away the slight twinge of not REALLY being missed too much. They don't get a lot of quality time with my parents, so I am thrilled and relieved things seem to be going so well.

As for Gabe, he had his one-year check up today and it couldn't really have gone any better. I filled Dr. Voyles in on the past few months of Riley stuff - mainly the swallow study and feeding issues. He seemed to support us in our stance to remain oral and continue with the cup that works for Gabe - even asking if there had been discussion about removing the feeding tube. We are supposed to discuss that with Developmental Peds in July - we don't see Dr. Rouse again until June 24th, so we'll certainly bring it up then as well. The main reason for all of this confidance in our present course is Gabe's weigh-in today. He is up to 20lbs and 13.5 oz. The really big news is that he did more than maintain his percentile weight, he actually came back up a little!! He is now just shy of 25th percentile! Height maintained around the 50th percentile and we didn't look at head circumference percentile. His big melon was 48.5 cm, so I'll have to go online and see where he is there. Gabe was showing off with big toothy grins (with last week's arrivals, he is up to 5 teeth, still very snaggle-toothed!), patty-cakin and peek-a-booin up a storm.

This afternoon, I was power-washing the fence, trying to get it ready to stain. We should have done it last summer, but we were just a little too busy to get around to it. My mind was definitely wandering during this long and tedious chore. Mostly I wandered back to where we were a year ago. I didn't have to look back through the blog to remember this day. It was not a good day. Everybody had checked out of their hotels and were staying with family in the area. The boys had spent their first night at the RMH with us. I was up early to pump and called the module to see how Gabriel's night had gone. The tone on the phone reminded me too much of that first night - and the vague answers indicating that they were waiting for more information - left me feeling uneasy and anxious to get over to the hospital. Once we were there, the news was not good and there were very few answers. Gabriel just wasn't weaning the way they wanted him to. All of his stats went downhill every time they tried to wean him from ECMO. Even more disturbing was how poorly he was doing with the ECMO settings turned nearly all the way up. There were concerns about seizures, brain bleeds and more worry about his overall respiratory status - we were nearly back where we started. The day was full of tests - EEG, Echocardiogram, x-ray and the decision to get a CT. Who could forget the memorable transport of Gabe on ECMO to the CT scanner - that didn't come until Wednesday. Tuesday night (still the 29th) we asked to stay downstairs in the RMH at Riley. I don't think I left the building all day. Josh walked the boys and Grandma back to the RMH down the street and helped get them settled. I spent my time waiting for his return in the peace chapel. I went to clear my head, to ask for guidance and strength to face whatever we needed to face - I wound up begging. I went back to our little room to wait for Josh, made a couple of phone calls and then went looking for Josh when I thought too much time had passed. I found him where I had just been, in the chapel. We talked a bit, expressing our sense of helplessness - the feeling that Gabriel might be slipping away from us was suffocating. We were exhausted and struggling to hang onto hope. We wanted to be strong for Gabe, ourselves and our families - but this was our time to acknowledge our helplessness and after expressing to God how much we wanted our son with us, we were able to acknowledge that we wanted what was best for him, not for us. We just REALLY wanted those two things to be the same. Now that everyone is depressed - let's remember the rest of the story. Just 48 hours later Gabe would be recovering from surgery, hope restored. I will leave you with video of this morning. Gabe happily playing peek-a-boo.

No comments: