Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Josh and I were talking a bit about timing today and I realized that tomorrow we will have officially been home longer than we have been at Riley. Gabe was 4 months old Monday the 24, which was also exactly 2 months from the day we left Riley with him, but we spent 5 days up there last week, so tomorrow we will have made up those days. So, Thursday will actually be the day we will have been home longer. The day we got on the elevator with Gabriel, walked through the halls of the hospital, throuh the ROC and to the car was almost surreal. We had been there long enough that it was a huge change in routine, in what had become normal, to have Gabe with us as we went through that door. It was the same doors we went in and out of every day, sometimes multiple times per day, for two months. Now we look back from today to that day and the routine we have established at home and it seems like it has been ages since we lived any other life than the one here at home. But on Monday (last week), when we walked through those same doors, two months vanished in a blink - didn't we just leave with him? We knew the sights and sounds, knew if the patio was open or closed, and had some idea who might be working in the NICU that day and later that night. Our first night in the hospital last week, the nurse handed me the menu for nursing mothers, and even though I studied it and contemplated what to order, I didn't need to, I knew what was listed for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Isn't it amazing how our views of time bend and change. Time is constant but our perception of it is not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank God for the time He has blessed us with here and now and the memories He has allowed us to share with each other. God is ammazing in more ways then we can count. God Bless you all! With Love, Derek, Angela, Mackenzie, and Ella

Tabatha said...

Peggy and Josh,
I'm glad to see that you are home and that things went well with Gabe's surgery! I am so sorry I missed you! I will definately be looking forward to seeing you on the 26th! Give Gabe kisses and hugs for me! Take care!
Love,
Tabatha