Tuesday, October 16, 2007

First Steps was here today - now that we have the swallow study, we are trying to get some oral stim set up. We should get things going pretty quickly, since we don't have to repeat the initial evaluation and hopefully will be working with a therapist by early November. He is doing great and really likes putting stuff in his mouth, just like a normal baby. He can really get a hold of that pacifier when he wants it now, which was pretty wishy/washy before. The oral pureed feedings are going well - we tried prunes last night and tonight and he seemed to actually enjoy them! We could hear him swallowing well and there was no gagging, well I admit I might have gagged a little...I don't think pureed prunes look or smell pretty.

A side note that has nothing to do with Gabe - last night I got onto Justin and ultimately put him in time-out. We always talk about why he is there, once things settle down and this time was no different. We talked and he started crying and we eventually worked everything out - but as he was getting up he said he had something in his lunch box for me. He found some small pink beads on the playground at recess and told me he thought they were pretty and wanted to save them as a special surprise for me. So he carried them in and put them in his lunch box, because I always get his lunch ready and he knew I'd find them in there. Wow - he's good isn't he? I put him to bed - as he commented, "see Mommy, I'm talking really nice now, do you like that?". I tucked him in, kissed him goodnight and after backing out of the room, I put the beads in a baggy and wrote the story of them on the outside in permanent marker. As I was writing, I felt a peculiar mixture of sweetness, pride that he could be so thoughtful, guilt b/c I was punishing him all the while these beads were sitting in his lunch box and also wonder - had I just been played? I'll stick with the sweet story.

No comments: