Friday, July 18, 2008

Developmental Peds appt

Yesterday's appt with Dev. Peds was fairly quick and uneventful - which is a GOOD thing! The nurse practitioner was pleased with Gabe's social skills - he smiled and flirted most of the time she was in there. We discussed his milestones and typical eating patterns (I say "typical" b/c the last week hasn't really been typical) which she was also very happy with. After looking at Gabe and checking him over, she was relatively unconcerned about the head trauma incident, simply commenting "it happens" and even related a quick story involving a broken bone with the parents right there. Gabe was certainly much more himself yesterday than he had been all week. Between headaches and upset tummy from his fall and a very stubborn front tooth, he hasn't been his usual, happy and adventurous self. His OT was concerned enough on Wednesday when she saw him that we wound up in the pediatrician's office for some reassurance, especially since we were heading out of town. Our pediatrician checked him over thoroughly and was satisfied Gabe was fine and would hopefully perk up soon. He did and enjoyed a visit in the NICU as well as his first ride on the People Mover. Justin and Kendrick were very excited to finally show their little brother how they spent last summer at Riley. I think they were also excited he could join them this time- ok that "hallmark moment" was more me than than them, but they did comment that it was Gabe's first time.

That afternoon, while Gabe napped and the older boys played with Rex (their new "puppy cousin") Josh got us some new tires. We had a nice blow-out on I-70 at about 9:30 Wednesday on our way up to Indy. Josh had to change the tire, in the dark with semis and other traffic whizzing by while I watched for errant drivers that may pose a threat. I'm not sure exactly what I was going to do if I saw somebody headed for our spot on the side of the interstate, but it felt somewhat useful, so I did it. We now have four new tires and a working flashlight in the van. Live and learn.

1 comment:

Dave and Maria Schoeppner said...

Glad to hear there were no long term effects from Gabe's fall. I must say we were a little concerned. I can't imagine how you must have felt. I do remember when Cathryn fell down the steps and busted open the back of her head. I "calmly" have Patrick bring me a towel and the phone so I could call Dave and get him home to take us to the emergency room. She ended up with 5 staples. Of course this was when she was about two or three. But somehow that feeling just doesn't go away when you reflect back. We're all doing well. Take care. Love, Maria, Dave, Patrick, and Cathryn