Monday, January 28, 2008

Feeding Progress


Although he is improving with the cup, Gabe seems to prefer the syringe for getting his milk. Every day he seems to take a little more and more by the cup. I was nosing around Schnuck's, looking for a new soft sipper cup and was amazed there were more to choose from than there were even just a few years ago when we were looking to transition Kendrick to the cup. I picked up a NUK cup with green dragonflies on it, which seems to be working out better than the playtex cup we used before. Just a note to anybody else out there who tries it, it really is great but it is really slow flowing. I had to get a little scissor happy with the tip to get it working better. The others were a little too fast, so this was a good compromise, even if I had to modify it a bit. He didn't seem to take as much from the cup saturday as he did Friday, so I really had to work on myself not to get too discouraged too quickly. We stuck to the plan and Sunday was a tad better. Today was even better yet. He took three ounces this morning and another ounce a little later in the morning. He also took about two ounces at dinner and three ounces before bed. That is a big improvement, considering this time last week we were excited if he took even half an ounce out of the cup over the course of an entire day. I know it is far from the approximately 30 + ounces that most 8 month olds take by mouth, but I never imagined we'd be in this position orally this soon. He is quite the little trooper, and demonstrates this time and time again. Even his brothers have noticed this big step and have acknowledged it with excitement. Justin wants to help feed him so badly, so last night when Kendrick needed something, I let Justin hold the cup for Gabe while he was sitting in his swing (which I am afraid is nearly outgrown). Justin was so proud of himself and I restrained myself from shooing him away too quickly. I know all of this is a lot easier for them to take if they are a part of it, instead of just the onlookers that we all were in the beginning. It hasn't always been easy to find ways to incorporate them into Gabe's care, but we are learning and so are they. As Gabe continues to grow and thrive, it gets easier to let the big brothers do more than fetch and dispose of diapers. You can see the sense of accomplishment in their little faces and it hopefully eases the jealousies that I am sure they must be dealing with more than we'd wish.
I mentioned a bit about timing during the last post, and how little we may really be aware of. Last week we received an email that reminded us of that. Since the email was to us, I will keep the author and the exact contents private here. But it was a reminder of how timing has been absolutely everything, from Gabe's first hours of life. It was a reminder that if even one little detail had been different, everything would have been different and I am not sure this blog would even exist. Even if Gabe's life had been brief, it would have had meaning, we know that. It still hurts to think that was the accepted belief those first hours, so naturally I don't dwell there often. The phrase, "what a difference a day makes" takes on new meaning and greater significance. But he surpassed many expectations by surviving the first night and so the story goes from there. He continues to do so and in the process, brings us along with him on his journey as we surpass our own expectations for ourselves. We find that we are able to do the things we once might have doubted. We are stronger than we may have believed - but I still argue it would have taken greater strength to face the alternative and I acknowledge those parents who face a different reality. Many have asked us how we do it, stating they don't believe they could do all that we have done. We know so many families who have faced similar or even greater obstacles and continue to fight for their children and pray for progress, or even miracles. I guess you don't know what you are capable until you are put in a particular situation, but I don't know anyone in our circle of friends or familly who wouldn't also rise to the occasion. We haven't done anything heroic, we've done the best we can for our family.

2 comments:

Grandpa O said...

Webster's has several definitions of "hero". My personal definition is: "one who encounters extreme adversity, but regardless of the circumstances or consequences rises to the occassion and deals with the situation".

I think you and Josh both fit that definition quite well.

Owen Smith

Jane said...

ditto ditto ditto, Owen. We always are aware of how much we love our children, but sometimes when we step back and realize how much we respect and admire them, it fills ours hearts past capacity, doesn't it?